The Controversial Flu Vaccine
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
There is mounting evidence on why you should avoid the flu vaccine. Unfortunately, in addition to the fact it may not be nearly as effective as advertised, flu vaccines can and do cause harm.
Most deaths related to influenza are actually due to bacterial pneumonia, and bacterial pneumonia can be effectively treated with advanced medical care and therapies likeand respirators.
Does It Work?
Let's look at the actual studies, not the hype, that show just how ineffective the flu vaccine is in both adults and children:
- In seniors aged 65 and over, the flu vaccine was only 9% effective. In a review of 64 studies of the elderly over 98 flu seasons, flu shots were non-significant for preventing influenza, ILI, or pneumonia.(1)
- During the 2012-2013 flu season, the flu vaccine's effectiveness was found to be just 56% across ALL age groups reviewed by the CDC - in essence, the statistical equivalent of a coin toss.
- In a review of 48 reports, including 66,000 adults, “Vaccination of healthy adults only reduced risk of influenza by 6%, and reduced the number of missed work days by less than one day (0.16) days. It did not change the number of people needing to go to the hospital or take time off work.”(2)
- Vaccinating against one strain of influenza may actually increase your risk of exposure to related but different strains.
- In a review of over 51 studies involving 294,000 children, there was no evidence that injecting children 6-24 months of age with a flu vaccine was more effective than the placebo, and it was found to be only effective 33% of the time in children over 2 yrs. of age.(3)
- Children with asthma who receive the flu vaccine are more at risk for hospitalization than children who do not receive the vaccine.(4)
Vitamin D - Natural Flu Prevention
Randomized controlled trials found a reduced incidence of influenza for those taking high doses of vitamin D.
- A study involving African-American postmenopausal women in New York found a 60% reduced risk of colds and influenza for those taking 800 IUs vitamin D3, and a 90% reduced risk for those taking 2,000 IUs.
- A 2010 study demonstrated the effectiveness of vitamin D as a preventive strategy against influenza. Children taking just 1,200 IUs of vitamin D3 per day (considered a low dose) were shown to be 42% less likely to come down with the flu.(5)
- A study in Japan involving school children taking 1,200 IUs of vitamin D3 vs. 200 IUs, found a 67% reduction in Type A influenza. Type A influenza includes H1N1 varieties, which were the type involved in the 1918-19 pandemic influenza, and the 2009 “swine flu” infections. The Japanese scientists concluded that the anti-viral drugs "zanamivir" and "oseltamivir" reduced risk of flu infection by only 8% in children exposed to infection, compared with a 50% or greater reduction with vitamin D.(6)
Many doctors throughout Europe and Canada routinely prescribe high doses of vitamin D not only for the flu, but for a long list of chronic diseases.
Natural Strategies to Protect Yourself Against the Flu
For disease to take hold of the body, the immune system has in some way become compromised or overwhelmed. The key to flu prevention is to ensure that your immune system is both strong and uncompromised, and the health of the immune system can be significantly affected by different lifestyle factors.
Here are 9 simple measures you can take to protect yourself from the flu:
Eat the right diet...
- The Dirty Dozen - what they are & how you can avoid them
- Is your diet healthy? Good food vs. bad food
- The health benefits of antioxidant-rich foods
- Need help changing your diet? Sign up for the Body Healer protocol
Get enough of these 3 nutrients...
- Vitamin D (in supplement form)
2,000 IUs per day of vitamin D3 has been found to reduce influenza risk by 90%.
- Vitamin C (from food)
Large amounts of vitamin C have been shown to both relieve and prevent cold and flu symptoms. Always aim to increase your intake of fruits and veggies high in vitamin C, rather than take it in artificial supplementation. Studies show that the protective qualities from vitamin C are substantially higher and much more effective in in natural form compared to in supplements.(7)
- The Omegas - Essential Fatty Acids (from food)
Increase your intake of omega-3 fatty acids from walnuts, avocados, flax seeds, and oily fish such as mackerel and sardines, or take a high quality supplement that has been tested for purity and is free from mercury and other contaminants. Similar to vitamin C, natural sources are much better and more effectively absorbed by the body.
Explore for the Body Healer protocol to learn more about these and other important nutrients. Learn why, with the exception of vitamin D, you should avoid supplements and always get your nutrients from whole foods.
Get enough rest & relaxation...
People who sleep less than 7 hours are more likely to become sick when exposed to germs and viruses than those who sleep 8 hours or more.
Get enough regular exercise...
Reduce your stress...
We all face some stress every day, but if stress becomes chronic, your body will be compromised when it comes to fighting off the flu and other more serious conditions.
- Why our fear of germs has turned into an unhealthy phobia.
- Why you should immediately ditch the common household cleaners filled with dangerous toxins.
- How to build your own non-toxic cleaning cabinet using simple products that are safe for both yourself and your family, pets included. For example, both the EPA and CDC agree that white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide are just as effective as household bleach when it comes to household cleaning (over 99% effective). Yet they are non-toxic!
- Why antibacterial soaps are not only completely unnecessary and contain chemicals such as triclosan that are dangerous for our body, but their overuse contributes to the weakening both our and our children's immune systems.
Quit smoking, drugs, excessive alcohol, & stimulants...
- Learn more about the health impact of stimulants
- Sodas, pop, & energy drinks - why you don't need them
- Quit your addiction today!
Understand the impact of medications...
- Anti-inflammatory & immune suppressing drugs
- Chronic inflammation
- How America became a medicated nation
Bullet-proof your immune system!
The Body Healer Protocol
- Learn about vaccinations The pros vs. cons
- What is a vaccination? Learn about your immune system
- Current vaccine schedule View the CDC recommendations
- Need guidance? Make an educated decision on vaccinations
- The controversial flu vaccine Natural supplements are more effective
View Sources & References
- (1) Vaccines for preventing influenza in the elderly. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2006
- (2) Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2006
- (3) Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2008
- (4) American Thoracic Society’s 105th Int'l Conference, May 2009, San Diego
- (5) Vitamin D supplementation to prevent type A influenza. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 May;91(5):1255-60
- (6) Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation to prevent influenza A. Am J Clin Nutr May 2010 vol. 91 no. 5 1255-1260
- (7) The effectiveness of vitamin C. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1999 Oct;22(8):530-3.